Board of Directors Meeting Minutes, August 11, 2004, Snowmass Village, Colorado

Attending: Board Members John Bucher, Kathleen Christoph, Greg Jackson, Perry Hanson, Brian Hawkins, Jeffrey Noyes, Susan Perry, William Pritchard, George Strawn, and by telephone, Ellen Waite-Franzen. Absent were John Hitt, Robyn Render, and David Ward.

Also present: Staff members Carole Barone, Denny Farnsworth, Cynthia Golden, Richard Katz, Mark Luker, and Diana Oblinger.

The EDUCAUSE Board of Directors meeting was called to order by Chair Kathy Christoph at 12:35 p.m. on Wednesday, August 11.

Motion: That the minutes from the May 20, 2004 Board meeting be approved.
Motion made by: Perry Hanson
Seconded by: Willie Pritchard
Passed by unanimous vote

Reports

President's Report

Brian attended a meeting about Frye and its future last week with Nancy Davenport, President of the Council for Library and Information Resources. There will be a Frye Institute next summer.

The Core Data Service for 2004 was released in May. The statistical work was done this summer and the monograph will be released and distributed in October. It will include a variety of statistical analyses concerning trend differences. One trend worth commenting on is that Community College participation is up 71%.

Financial Update (Tab #2)

June statements are in the Agenda Book. We have since closed July with a net loss of $652,000, which is $615,000 better than budget. Conference registrations are ahead of last year by 11%. The nature of economy still affecting us, but things seem to be improving.

Investment Update (Tab #2)

There are no anomalies, EDUCAUSE investments are still tracking with the market.

Highlights of Vice President Carole Barone's report

Carole provided an update on Vicki Suter and the NLII fellows. Vicki is beginning a Ph.D. program at Pepperdine University and is now working half-time for NLII. Colleen Carmean and Patricia McGee are editing a book on next generation course management systems. Darren Cambridge is beginning a tenure track position at George Mason University. Joan Gettman concluded a half-time internship with NLII and found it to be a profoundly positive experience. Paul Hagner, one of the first fellows made a complete career change as a result of his NLII exposure.

Highlights of Vice President Cynthia Golden's report

The Professional Development Committee and AGAISS will hold a focus session on September 30 in Denver. The session goal is to identify the professional development needs of administrative computing staff in our institutions, and to develop recommendations for changes/additions/deletions to the EDUCAUSE offerings in this area.. The outcome will be a report that will inform EDUCAUSE programming at all levels, including conferences, institutes, member communities, online events and web-based content. It is anticipated that the report will also help to shape discussions with the CUMREC conference committee about future directions for that conference..

The PD committee met in July and the focus was on mentoring. Suggestions were to do virtual work on how to mentor, how to find a mentor, etc. Conference presentations on mentoring were requested. The group will take up mentoring as an agenda item during the coming year.

We continue to plan for special topical issues at the regional conferences as we have done for the past couple of years.

The new EDUCAUSE Web site will go live in September.

Highlights of Vice President Mark Luker's report

EDUCAUSE has been named the sector coordinator for higher education with the Department of Homeland Security. We are now invited to participate in meetings with the coordinators of other sectors such as the energy and the financial industries to prepare plans to help protect us a variety of threats.

Joy Hughes, the CIO at George Mason University, will be replacing Gordon Wishon as co-chair of the Security Task Force when he steps down at the annual meeting

It is now expected that much of voice communications will migrate to the Internet in the form of VoIP services. This is sparking important policy debates regarding wire tapping, taxing, and regulating the Internet. EDUCAUSE is organizing the higher education response to recent requests for comments of the FCC.

Mark Luker wrote a letter to the Department of Commerce expressing the concerns of the EDUCAUSE Board about several issues related to .EDU and discussed it at length in a recent meeting with staff of the Department. Several issues that were being held up are now moving ahead, including proposals regarding system office memberships, the reposting of the user agreement on the Web site, and the approval of the IPv6 experiment for the domain.

An additional administrative cleanup of domain names that aren't connected to service is ready to be implemented and is awaiting Commerce approval. The cleanup of other names has been reduced in scope and now will deal primarily with domain names that have been sold or traded on the market. EDUCAUSE is ready to proceed.

Highlights of Vice President Richard Katz's report

Richard Katz distributed ECAR Roadmaps, publications designed for senior level individuals that are synopses of ECAR works. A half-dozen will be sent in print form to every EDUCAUSE primary representative for further distribution.

The number of subscriptions is up to 285. The rate of increase is slowing down, but subscriptions are still increasing.

A complementary copy of the ERP study is being sent to 1600 institutions that are not ECAR subscribers.

The ECAR Fellows met in Sedona to set the agenda for the coming year. Proposed subjects for the coming year, 2005-06, are Identity Management in Higher Education, Information Technology in Support of Research in Higher Education, Open Source, and Business Intelligence.

Version one of the summary of the study of 4,300 students and their opinions on information technology, behaviors, aspirations, expectations, etc., will be released soon and will become an annual project.

Highlights of Vice President Diana Oblinger's report

The NLII planning process will be kicking off in a couple of weeks, focusing on planning, products, and presence. NLII will be looking at a strategic plan for the next five years. The main products have been the annual meeting and focus sessions. NLII will be moving into product development with offerings such as the Annual Review, an upcoming e-book, a series of executive white papers, and practitioner tools. NLII is planning pre-conference events at all meetings to improve the NLII presence.

Consideration of the EDUCAUSE Preliminary Program Plan and the Budget for 2005 (Tab #3) Final approval of the Program Plan & Budget to occur at the meeting in Denver

Discussion of proposed Program Plan Initiatives:

EDUCAUSE E-Content Strategy

Cynthia Golden reported that we are continuing efforts on e-content strategy. New formats are being developed for presentation, gathering, and deploying e-content. The Web strategy is to aggregate, pulling together and adding value to the e-content. The new Website will allow the dissemination of information in different ways, Web, e-mail, e-zine, blogs, etc. We are also doing work internally on content coordination. One project on tap for early next year is how to harvest information from regional conferences.

Perry Hanson commented that while ECAR and other resources provide a wealth of information, we are weak in the "how-to" or "how-do-I" type of information for our members. The new Website will contain some "how-to" information as well as an entirely different organization structure and better search tools. Cynthia will send the URL of the Web prototype so that the Board can preview the site. The Board expressed the need for more emphasis on the "how-do-I" information.

Electronic Professional Development

EDUCAUSE will expand the EDUCAUSE Live! program in 2005, moving from one presentation per month to multiple presentations each month. We will begin to feature special topics that could come from NLII, [email protected], etc. We will also be evaluating the tools that are available. Currently, we're using Horizon Live with a 200 seat license.

New efforts in on-site professional Development

In an effort to provide a wider range of online PD opportunities to members, EDUCAUSE will look for opportunities to serve as a broker for existing online seminars and workshops, for example ACM's online course series. It will be necessary to set priorities to determine the range of offerings to be made available.

To date, EDUCAUSE has used the regional conferences to increasing local PD opportunities. To continue to offer more accessible PD events, EDUCAUSE will begin pilot offerings of one-day regional workshops on key topics during 2005. The workshops will explore a topic in-depth and provide ample opportunity for networking and interaction. Initial topics identified include Security, Leadership and Management, and Open Source technologies. Cynthia invited input from the Board on topics, timing, and locations. Board members suggested adding Identity Management as a topic.

Promote a deeper understanding of the open source movement

The fourth area proposed as a priority for the Program Plan is to promote a deeper understanding of the Open Source software development plan. Richard Katz reported that an invitational meeting was held in July in Broomfield, CO. The issues discussed were definition, nomenclature, community development, and collaborative software development. A question was posed at the meeting, "How successful have we been at collaboration?" The consensus answer was, "Not terribly." EDUCAUSE's lack of success as a collaborator was identified as a risk factor for the Open Source movement. However, it is important that EDUCAUSE not be perceived as an advocate of any particular solution. There was a discussion about business issues, business models, licenses, legal structures. EDUCAUSE's role should be to distribute information and that can be done through presentations, magazines, the Web, etc. This is a topic that the Chronicle views as very important to Higher Ed. There is a thinning of the software market that supports Higher Ed and this leads to support for the Open Source movement. One issue that must be addressed, is that of EDUCAUSE avoiding the topic of Open Source due to adverse vendor reaction. This is not the case! Any adverse reaction would have a minimal impact on EDUCAUSE. Two featured speakers were added as a result of the interest in Open Source, Dave Lambert and Mitch Kapor. We were asked if there were any show stoppers to Open Source in EDUCAUSE's view and we answered no. Regrettably, we didn't emphasize the EDUCAUSE corporate principles, particularly the statement that says that EDUCAUSE will not endorse any specific corporation or their services, because that will remain our position. The level of discussion concerning Open Source is very passionate and we must take steps to be aggressively neutral. At the same time, we need to keep the welcome mat out for open discussions.

The EDUCAUSE 20-20 Project

The 20-20 project, part of the EDUCAUSE program plan for 2005, will create an ad-hoc advisory group to assist EDUCAUSE and its leadership in understanding the needs of the group of today's professionals from which will emerge the next generation of leaders, and will advise EDUCAUSE on what it should be doing to support this group and their institutions over the next five years. A formal report will be produced.

Board members are invited to submit names for potential members. Greg Jackson noted that campus visits and interviews of a cross section of individuals could also be done to gather additional feedback and supplement the work of this committee.

Review of budget parameters, budget highlights, and dues proposal for 2005 (Tab #3)

The proposed dues increase for 2005-2006 is on page 70 and the budget highlights are on page 71 of the Agenda Book.

One of the budget highlights is a salary increase pool of 3.5% for 2005. That was the initial recommendation, based upon many different salary surveys. Now, because the EDUCAUSE Employee Satisfaction Survey is beginning to show dissatisfaction with salary increases, Brian made a proposal to increase the salary pool for 2005 to 4%. After some discussion, the Board indicated that it supported the 4% pool, and it will appear in the final budget for approval in October.

Ratification of the Board decision regarding the fall slate of Board candidates.

On the June 9, 2004 conference call of the Board, we deliberated the slate of candidates to be offered for election. This motion merely ratifies that decision and officially incorporates it into the minutes of EDUCAUSE.

Motion: Moved that the slate of Charles Chulvik, Becky King, Ruth Sabean, and David Smallen be put forth as the slate to be voted on for Director positions by the membership.
Motion made by: Susan Perry
Seconded by: Greg Jackson
Passed by unanimous vote.

Discussion of candidates for the appointed director position, to fill the position held by Susan Perry whose term ends on December 31, 2004.

Suggestions were made and prioritized, and Brian will return to the Board after he discusses this with the candidates.

Input from the Board for the Nomination and Election Committee

Brian distributed a message he received from Susan Foster, Chair of the 2005 Nomination and Election Committee, requesting guidance from the Board in some areas of committee responsibility.

Brian has told the committee that leadership and vision are the most important criteria. Beyond that, to the degree possible, we are looking for a diverse representation of the entire membership. This includes race, gender, and Carnegie Class.

In response to Susan Foster's question about ways to groom members for Board membership, the Board said it is not the role of EDUCAUSE or the Nomination and Election Committee to develop Board members. Our role is to develop leaders and the new Website will have avenues for involvement. We rely on our professional development offerings to help accomplish that, and Board candidates will be chosen form those that demonstrate the necessary leadership and vision traits.

The Board has been satisfied with the quality of the slate and emphasized that leadership and vision should not be compromised for demographics. If the Board is missing representation in a certain sector, the appointed position could be used to fill that void.

The Board would not be comfortable with a slate of all men or all women and would prefer Carnegie Class diversity as long as the primary criteria of leadership and vision are maintained.

Discussion of discount program on PKI certificates & policy issue

(There was a handout on this topic in the supplementary package sent to the Board.) Digital certificates are now being used by both individuals and servers in higher education for authentication and security, and will only be more widely used in the future. Barriers to widespread adoption in higher education include cost and technical complexity. Proposed solution: EDUCAUSE will contact vendors on behalf of higher education and try to arrange for discounts that will break the cost barrier on service offerings that also reduce the technical complexity. One such a proposal from VeriSign has already received a technical review at a number of our member institutions and is currently under legal review. EDUCAUSE needs to conduct such discussion paying close attention our principles of corporate relations. Undertaking this project would be a good demonstration of EDUCAUSE leadership, but it must be done in a non-exclusive manner. We will move forward with care.

Discussion of handout on "Reserve Levels and Spending Rules"

There is a handout in the supplemental packet sent to the Board.

Reserve levels have been building, and Brian is proposing spending rules to keep the reserves from growing too large. We will not spend the reserves down below our "rainy day" fund level, which is approximately $6 million. We also have the cushion of the $2 million Strategic Initiative Fund. It is important to understand that this draw on reserves will not be viewed as "one time" money. It is also important to understand that the Board will review the proposed draw for appropriateness each year.

Motion: That the Board of EDUCAUSE, as part of its annual program review and budget process, determine a percentage of between 5% and 7% of the total reserves that would be drawn down and used as a revenue source in support of the operating budge for the following year. Implementation will be in 2006.
Motion made by Susan Perry
Seconded by Perry Hanson
Passed by unanimous vote

New Business

There was no new business to come before the Board.

Adjournment

Motion: That the meeting be adjourned
Moved by: John Bucher
Seconded by: Greg Jackson
Passed by unanimous vote

Next Board Meetings

Monday, October 18, 2004 in Denver Colorado, from 1:00 - 5:00 p.m.
Wednesday, January 26, 2005 in New Orleans, Louisiana, from 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Thursday, April 7, 2005 in Washington, D.C., from 12:30 - 5:00 p.m.