Board of Directors Meeting Minutes, May 1, 2003, Washington, DC

Attending:Board members Kathy Christoph, Greg Jackson, Perry Hanson, Joel Hartman, Brian Hawkins, Joanne Hugi, Jeffrey Noyes, Susan Perry, William Pritchard, Robyn Render, George Strawn, and David Ward. Absent was Steve Relyea.

Also Present:Clifford Lynch, Executive Director, CNI.
Staff members Carole Barone, Cynthia Golden, Richard Katz, Mark Luker, and Julia Rudy.

The EDUCAUSE Board of Directors meeting was called to order by Chair Joel Hartman at 12:30 pm on Thursday, May 1, 2003.

Motion:That the minutes from the January Board meeting be approved.

Motion made by:Willie Pritchard
Seconded by:Susan Perry

Passed by unanimous vote

I: Reports

Update on CNI: Clifford Lynch, CNI Executive Director, reported the following highlights of CNI activities over the past year:

  • CNI's membership has been stable for the past couple of years, at 200 institutional members, in spite of the poor economy. CNI is entirely supported by membership dues. The organization is about to issue dues renewals. Dues will now be $5,560, which represents a 2% annual increase last year and this year.
  • The CNI budget is predictable, expenses are running as projected, and there are no shortfalls expected.
  • The feedback from the spring meeting that just took place was very good. The fall meeting will be in Portland, Oregon, and CNI is still firming up the spring 2004 arrangements.
  • The Paul Evan Peters Award for Leadership (given to Tim Berners-Lee and Vinton Cerf thus far), will go this year to Brewster Kahle, who will deliver the guest lecture at the fall meeting.
  • A scholarship in Paul's memory was awarded in fall 2002 to Cal Lee, a graduate student in Michigan's School of Information.
  • The CNI program plan looks back as well as forward. The three primary legs of the program include one set of issues revolving around digital content, a second set of issues dealing with organizational issues, including a focus on evaluation and assessment, and a third area focused on technology. Some specific projects over the past year or two include:
  1. the implications of learning management systems;
  2. an IMS Global Learning Consortium project to develop a white paper looking at the overlap and need to take down silos;
  3. institutional stewardship of content, institutional repositories, production of electronic dissertations, how to use digital technology to document performance (musical, play, ballet);
  4. digital preservation, including records management issues;
  5. a co-led project with Dartmouth to develop and maintain a Web site dealing with collaborative facilities to support teaching, learning, and scholarship with technology (including place and organizational structure);
  6. NLII collaboration on the transformative assessment program;
  7. open archives metadata harvesting work, which is just finishing up;
  8. partnered efforts on the Shibboleth project of Internet2.

Highlights of President Brian Hawkins' Report

  • Health insurance premiums increased so greatly that EDUCAUSE has had to move to staff paying a portion of their premium, not just co-pays as it has been in the past. The amount staff is paying is based on a sliding scale depending on income.
  • Presidential "professional development" was one of six initiatives that were key for this year, with the goal to provide an opportunity for presidents to engage in IT issues in a different way. The paper that David Ward and Brian Hawkins wrote is to be published by both ACE and EDUCAUSE jointly. It has already been used this spring on several occasions (NITLE-related events, Northeast small elite private schools, Forum on IT in the Research University) and was well received. In July EDUCAUSE is holding an open conference for presidents in conjunction with ACE which will shape discussions to deal with strategic issues and Brian will meet with a group of presidents from the Associated Colleges of the South.
  • The economy continues to be a challenge with regard to meeting attendance but it is hard to read at this point. We have had only three events that were down in registrations - CUMREC was down 37% last year from the previous year, NERCOMP was down but only by 18 people, and CUMREC is going to be down again this year. Other organizations are seeing much more dramatic impacts. On the other hand, Internet2 had the largest meeting in their history. The EDUCAUSE summer institutes have sold out, the Midwest regional had 320 participants for a first-time event, and all other regionals are bigger than last year except the Southwest.
  • Mark Milliron from the League met with Brian to see how our organizations can cooperate more. The perception of many community colleges is that EDUCAUSE is not for them. There are some shared issues we might address, and we think that community colleges can participate especially in our Core Data Service.

Highlights of Vice President Carole Barone's Program Report

  • Clifford Lynch, CNI executive director, will serve on the NLII planning committee, which will provide good synergy between NLII and CNI.
  • The next focus session is June 20 in Seattle, just before the AAHE assessment conference. CNI is part of the planning and facilitating group that is developing the program for that event.
  • Recently NLII held a focus session in Arizona on next generation learning management systems. It was marked by productive and appropriate participation of vendors. Specific rules of engagement were laid out and all complied. The participants were able at the end to come up with set of consensually agreed-to next steps that LMS should incorporate
  • One feature of the last two focus sessions has been a parlor in which people demonstrate specific applications. These are not vendors but faculty members and others from campuses who have developed innovative applications. This has been well received and we will try to insert this feature into the NLII's annual meeting. We are also getting feedback that we need more interactive sessions, with less "lecture" (practice what you preach).
  • The NLII annual meeting was also the first step in the formation of four virtual communities of practice, three of which have become very active and in fact are being picked up by others in BLOGS.
  • The relationship between NLII and IMS is very strong right now, with NLII providing IMS with use-case scenarios to inform building the next specifications for interoperability in teaching and learning technologies and resources. The matrix on the NLII Web site is a good resource for anyone interested in standards.
  • Ron Bleed has agreed to be co-chair of an LMS work group with Malcolm Brown from Dartmouth and Jean Kreis from the University of Arizona.
  • NLII fellows are working on their research, Darren Cambridge on e-portfolios and Patricia McGee on learning objects. Former fellows Paul Hagner, Colleen Carmean and John Ittelson all continue to work on various NLII projects and stay closely linked.

Executive Director Cynthia Golden's Program Report

  • The EDUCAUSE 2003 Program Committee will meet in several weeks and the EDUCAUSE 2004 Program Committee has already met.
  • The last regional conference of the season will be in the Southeast in June.
  • Security is the key topic committees want to see on their programs.
  • The Snowmass conference tradition will be broken this year as we will provide Internet access.
  • We continue to do partnership programs, for example, with the Council of Independent Colleges we have done small-college sessions at regionals and we did an ICPL session at NERCOMP.
  • EDUCAUSE Live! had a soft launch that went really well and other events are scheduled.
  • EDUCAUSE hired Lida Larson to work with Cynthia on a part-time basis.

Highlights of Vice President Mark Luker's Program Report

  • The hottest topics in policy and networking have been security and peer-to-peer file sharing, which are both discussed in greater detail in reports on these issues under "new business."
  • Networking 2003 went very well and had a very strong program.
  • The cable industry has announced that they are building a high-speed "network of the future" that will run digital TV, voice, and data through the same conduit using IP technology.
  • NSF has sponsored a working group called the BID in EDUCAUSE to develop a business and operational model for the Higher Education Bridge. The BID has now recommended forming a PKI advisory council to help manage the transition to an operational plan.

Highlights of Vice President Richard Katz's Program Report

  • ECAR has more than 150 subscribers, much better than the original target of 100.
  • ECAR reports constitute nine of the top ten hits on the EDUCAUSE Web site.
  • Our research studies are shaping up well. The Burton group authored the PKI study.
  • Plans include releasing a study on course management systems that was based on the University of Wisconsin study, as well a study on support issues associated with CMS.
  • We are also deep into our study on IT security which had a tremendous response rate, especially from the research university community.
  • The ECAR summer symposium will be held July 7-9 in Park City, Utah, on instructional/classroom technology issues.
  • The larger ECAR symposium will be held November 19-21 at the Hotel Del Coronado in San Diego.
  • EDUCAUSE organized a valuable forum in conjunction with NACUBO for CIOs and CFOs brought together to discuss IT value and assessment (ROI). Cap Gemini Ernst and Young donated their Accelerated Solutions Environment to facilitate the meeting. The outcome will likely be a toolkit with four elements: (1) a conceptual piece on IT's value for publication in Business Officer and EDUCAUSE Quarterly; (2) a "business case" tool to help IT practitioners better articulate the purported value of an institutional IT investment; (3) a framework that classifies IT activities as either infrastructure, service provision, or innovation/experimentation and that identifies different expectation, different measurement approaches and different measures for each activity/investment class; and (4) a menu of measures linked to major elements of institutional strategy that can/must be aligned to IT. The shared idea is to build it out and elaborate potential metrics and approaches and to offer these as potential tools rather than a set of forced or even suggested set of metrics. Institutions that don't have institutional strategies depend on relationships to create the alignment of strategy of the institution with IT.

II.Business Meeting

1.Financial Update

We are running about a quarter of a million dollars better than budget, but 20% of that will probably disappear because of CUMREC's decreased registration.

2.Investment Update

We have an unrealized loss of $36,000 which at this point is a paper loss.

3.Review of 2002 audit and management letter

Our auditors gave us an unqualified report. There were two small points that the accounts identified, and both of these were fixed internally.

4.Consideration and approval of the 2003 Policy Program

EDUCAUSE policy staff members meet often with many different groups in Washington that are involved in policy making. They maintain a matrix of policy issues to help define which have highest priority, how they impact higher education, and which ones we can and should act on. All of this material is available on the policy site of the EDUCAUSE Web. The update process includes talking with our members, talking with other groups, being informed on legislative issues, and reviewing the matrix for adding or dropping issues periodically. The two major issues at present are security and peer-to-peer file sharing.

Motion: That the 2003 policy directions be approved

Moved:Susan Perry
Seconded:Joanne Hugi

Motion passed unanimously.

5.Consideration of Bylaw changes:

Motion: That Article VII, Section 1. be revised to read as follows:

Section 1. Officers. The Officers of the corporation shall be the Chair, Vice Chair, Secretary, and Treasurer of the Board of Directors. The Board of Directors may in its sole discretion designate additional Officers. All officers must be selected from among the Directors. The Chair and Vice Chair must be Member Directors.

Moved:Perry Hanson
SecondedSusan Perry

Motion passed unanimously.

6.Discussion of security issues

  • This year the focus on security has mushroomed. After 9/ll there was a major initiative to have the government lead a strategic planning effort for cyber security centered in the White House office of Richard Clarke.
  • Higher Education was recognized as one of the critical sectors of the national economy in this effort due to our large collections of computers on fast networks. The EDUCAUSE/Internet2 Task Force for Computer and Network Security led the planning effort for higher education. Executive awareness was raised through a letter to university presidents from David Ward of ACE.
  • The Security Task Force now needs to shift gears from strategic planning mode to an implementation phase, finding good materials for professional development and then offering PD opportunities for our members.
  • On the Federal side, it has been organizationally chaotic since the Department of Homeland Security was announced. Clarke is gone, his successor is gone, and there is a huge reorganization underway. We've just reestablished contact with Homeland Security through Nancy Wong and Richard Marshall. There may be funding and other support for the kind of PD work and campus networking we are going to offer.
  • Rodney Peterson, our Task Force Coordinator, is going to join EDUCAUSE on a full-time basis in August.
  • Over the last year we have seen major changes of attitude and actions with regard to cyber security on campus. I2 is about to start a project regarding security for high-speed networks.
  • EDUCAUSE will issue a book on security this fall, the eighth in the Jossey-Bass strategies series.

7.Update on peer-to-peer file sharing issues

  • Peer-to-peer file-sharing technology is used by many students in colleges and universities for illegal purposes (downloading movies and songs in violation of copyright laws).
  • Congressional hearings have been quite critical of the higher education response. Some House members are urging technological solutions to stop P2P file sharing, and are also threatening legislation that would impact campuses that do not actively pursue identification and punishment of students involved in these activities.
  • A joint committee with higher education members (including experts in privacy and the law), the RIAA and the MPAAA has been formed to tackle these issues. The committee set up three task forces---a technology task force staffed by EDUCAUSE, an education task force to look at educational efforts, and a task force on legislation, looking for any common ground between higher education and the entertainment industries in congress.
  • There are two EDUCAUSE-member CIOs on the technology task force, which has decided to issue an RFI for technologies or technology services that address bandwidth management and copyright infringement. Tools that open up the private communications on the network are generally not palatable to the higher education community. At the other end of the spectrum, many campuses are already doing bandwidth shaping without looking at content. Other approaches may be discovered through the RFI.
  • The Task Force is also preparing a second RFI for vendors of authorized music services that could be made available through campus networks. This "new model" is widely regarded as the best long term solution.
  • In the short term we are being strongly encouraged by Congress to do more to stop copyright infringement. EDUCAUSE needs to have something educational on our Web site about P2P file sharing so that our readers know more about the issues.
  • The Verizon case is also notable. Higher education has always cooperated with the recording industry when institutions receive a complaint through legal channels. Verizon has received similar complaints, but through a "lighter" process with less judicial review. EDUCAUSE will need to decide if it will sign an amicus brief in support of the Verizon position.

8.Update on and demonstration of EDUCAUSE Core Data Service

Brian demonstrated the new Core Data Service to the applause of the board.

9.Adjournment

The meeting was adjourned at 4:30 pm.

The next Board Meeting will be held Wednesday, August 6, in Snowmass, Colorado, from 12:00 pm - 6:00 pm.