The student and faculty data you need to start conversations with peers, institutional leaders, and faculty about achieving common educational tech goals.
EDUCAUSE Technology Research in the Academic Community (ETRAC) is based on data from the annual student and semiannual faculty surveys which are administered locally by colleges and universities throughout the United States. ECAR analyzes the data and publishes resources on technology ownership, use patterns, and expectations. The research helps you frame and answer key questions about what your students and faculty need and hope for from technology, which supports your institution’s development of strategic objectives for educational technology, such as:
- Improving IT services
- Increasing technology-enabled productivity
- Prioritizing strategic contributions of information technology to higher education
- Planning for technology shifts among the various constituencies of the academic community
- Becoming more technologically competitive among peer institutions, and find out what it might take to compete at the next level
Participating institutions receive:
- Resources to help you prepare for and administer the surveys (anyone with an EDUCAUSE login can view these resources);
- The annual research report;
- An aggregate-level summary/benchmarking report that compares your institution's responses with other institutions'; and
- The raw (anonymous) data of your institution's responses, so you can conduct further analyses.
- 2017 Survey Instrument: Student, Faculty
- 2016 Participating Institutions
- IRB Planning Information
- Example E-mail Invites: Student, Faculty
- Research Prospectus: Student, Faculty
- Sample Planning Information: Student, Faculty
- Survey Sample Calculator: Student, Faculty
- Frequently Asked Questions
Use the ETRAC Portal to sign up for, prepare for, and administer the student and faculty surveys. You can also use the portal to track survey progress, review and download survey data, share information and access with colleagues, and more.
Anyone with an EDUCAUSE profile at a higher education institution can access the portal and to review data, check survey status, and review resources. Access to features like managing survey plans and roles and administering the survey are limited to Survey Administrators. Survey Administrators can allow additional institutional staff to review and download survey data by assigning them reviewer status from the Manage Roles tab. Go to Portal >