Next Generation Learning Challenges
Next Generation Learning Challenges (NGLC) accelerates educational innovation through applied technology to dramatically improve college readiness and completion in the United States.
NGLC is working to reinvent education: exploring new models, technologies, and pathways to student success.
Next Generation Learning Challenges (NGLC) accelerates educational innovation through applied technology to dramatically improve college readiness and completion in the United States. An initiative of EDUCAUSE, NGLC is guided by the belief that providing investment capital to expand the use of proven and emerging learning technologies, collecting and sharing evidence of what works, and fostering a community of innovators and adopters will result in a robust pool of solutions and greater institutional adoption which, in turn, will dramatically improve the quality of learning experiences in the United States.
PROGRAMS AND EVENTS
- Grants: NGLC has provided grant funding to support tech innovation and new breakthrough models in higher education and K-12. Grant opportunities in higher education are now provided and supported directly by EDUCAUSE. See the current EDUCAUSE grant program, Integrated Planning and Advising for Student Success (iPASS). Learn about prior higher ed grants and all K-12 grant programs at nextgenlearning.org.
- Breakthrough Models Incubator: This three-phase program advances competency-based education (CBE) models by supporting institutions through a structured, co-created exploration and design process. The final cohort of the grant-funded incubator is currently in its third phase of the program.
- Breakthrough Models Academy: This former program of the EDUCAUSE Institute prepared emerging leaders to catalyze change by providing opportunities to challenge traditional thinking and design next generation learning models. The Academy involved a residential program, team design challenge, and presentation of selected designs at the ELI Annual Meeting
NEWS AND RESOURCES
- Library: View all NGLC-related resources in K-12 and higher education in the EDUCAUSE Library.
- Transforming Higher Ed Blog: Stay up-to-date with news and trends and ideas in teaching and learning with posts from EDUCAUSE staff and community members about breakthrough tech-enabled innovations supporting student learning, student success, and college completion.
- Assessment for Learning Project Announces $2 Million in Grants: Investments to catalyze new roles and strategies for assessment in K-12 announced by a unique partnership led by the Center for Innovation in Education (CIE) with EDUCAUSE’s Next Generation Learning Challenges (NGLC) and 2Revolutions.
- Chattanooga State Community College: U Do the Math Program: U Do the Math provides an innovative alternative to developmental math, replacing traditional course lectures with a student-centered approach to active learning and subject mastery.
- California State University Northridge: Hybrid Lab Courses: CSUN's course model targets high failure rate, multisection, gateway courses in which prerequisite knowledge is a key to success.
- Breakthrough Models for College Completion: Discover the innovative approaches of postsecondary degree programs that were funded by NGLC.
- Next Generation Learning: The Pathway to Possibility: Next generation learning is about engaging with today’s students through next gen teaching and learning designs. This white paper offers a framework for next generation learning to thrive.
NGLC has received financial support from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, the William and Flora Hewlett Foundation, the Eli and Edythe Broad Foundation, and the Michael & Susan Dell Foundation.