Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
- Podcasts (356)
- Blogs (248)
- Articles, Blogs, Briefs, Case Studies and Papers (2576)
- Books and Monographs (44)
- Government Documents, Laws, Letters or Testimonies (13)
- Interactive Graphic and Infographics (11)
- Policies, Guidelines, Plans, Procedures and Tools (80)
- Presentations and Seminars (2856)
- Surveys (46)
- Multimedia (37)
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
Leaders and managers who work in the higher education IT environment face challenges common to all university leaders: rapidly changing technology, shrinking budgets, policy and legislative changes, globalization, private sector competition, a changing student population, and much more. Successful IT leaders must have the talents, qualities, perspectives, and political skills to support the institution's goals and strategic directions and respond to these business drivers. In addition, they must be aware of trends in the IT field and their implications for higher education. As well as possessing excellent communication and organizational skills, effective IT leaders understand the nature of higher education, the style and context in which decisions are made, and the technology employed.
EDUCAUSE’s wealth of resources for IT leaders and managers focus on the environment in which IT leadership takes place, the planning and organizational skills needed to provide institutional leadership, and the individual characteristics required to develop and sustain a career in IT leadership. We encourage you to explore these pages to find articles, books, conference presentations, effective practices, and relevant communities to support your information needs. EDUCAUSE members contribute much of what you will find here. We invite you to submit your work to further enrich the IT management and leadership area.
Successful Leaders and IT Careers: The EDUCAUSE 2015 Award Winners (EDUCAUSE Review November/December 2015)
- Embracing Differentiation and Reclaiming Audacity: An Interview with James Hilton. The multivariant pressure on higher education going forward—over the next five years and beyond—is going to be to get better at telling a story that embraces differentiation.
- On Becoming a Leader: Building Relationships and Creating Communities. The function of a leader is to lead and guide people who will follow with the same values. An effective leader thus must be able to build relationships and create communities.
- The Next-Gen IT Leader. Next-gen IT leaders will need to be purposeful about engaging various segments of their campus communities to build trust, form relationships, and engage in true collaboration.
Today's Higher Education IT Workforce, ECAR Study, January 2014. This ECAR research incorporates results from a comprehensive survey on more than 2,000 IT professionals as well as focus groups to provide a description of the current state of today’s IT workforce, how it has changed in the past three years, and what changes may need to be implemented to retain and strengthen IT staff.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Information Technology Management and Leadership
- Enterprise IT
Enterprise IT True EDUCAUSE Enterprise IT Program A co…
Compliance True EDUCAUSE IT Governance, Risk, and Complia…
- Risk Management
Risk Management True EDUCAUSE IT Governance, Risk, and Co…
- IT Governance
IT Governance True EDUCAUSE IT Governance, Risk, and Comp…
- IT Effectiveness
IT Effectiveness True Technology on a campus is ubiquitou…
CIO True Career Development for New and Aspiring CIOs …
- Integrated Planning and Advising Services (IPAS)
Integrated Planning and Advising Services (IPAS) True A F…
- IT Funding
IT Funding True We Built, We Bought, We Shared: The Cos…
- Leadership Development
Leadership Development True Today’s IT organization mus…
- 7 Things You Should Read About Personalized Learning Models
November 24, 2015
The topic of personalized learning —along with related concepts such as adaptive learning and competency-based education —has received considerable attention lately, including predictio…