Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Next Generation Learning Challenges
Next Generation Learning Challenges (NGLC) accelerates educational innovation through applied technology to dramatically improve college readiness and completion in the United States. NGLC is guided by the belief that providing investment capital to expand the use of proven and emerging learning technologies, collecting and sharing evidence of what works, and fostering a community of innovators and adopters will result in a robust pool of solutions and greater institutional adoption which, in turn, will dramatically improve the quality of learning experiences in the United States.
PROGRAMS AND EVENTS
- Grants: NGLC provides grant funding to support tech innovation and new breakthrough models in higher education and K-12. Learn about existing grant opportunities through the Regional Funds for Breakthrough Schools initiative.
- Grant Recipients: The institutions, organizations, and school operators funded by NGLC are changing the landscape of education by engaging with today’s students through “next generation” teaching and learning designs. View a full list—plus details about the innovations—on the NGLC website.
- Breakthrough Models Incubator: This three-phase program is advancing competency-based education (CBE) models by supporting institutions through a structured, co-created exploration and design process.
- Breakthrough Models Academy: This institute program prepares current and emerging leaders to catalyze change by providing opportunities to challenge traditional thinking and design next generation learning models. The Academy involves a residential program, team design challenge, and presentation of selected designs at the ELI Annual Meeting.
NEWS AND RESOURCES
- NGLC Announces $25 Million Regional Funds for Breakthrough Schools Initiative: Six sites have been selected to serve as 'harbormasters' to develop regional hubs of K-12 innovation.
- Chattanooga State Community College: U Do the Math Program: U Do the Math provides an innovative alternative to developmental math, replacing traditional course lectures with a student-centered appraoch to active learning and subject mastery.
- California State University Northridge: Hybrid Lab Courses: CSUN's course model targets high failure rate, multisection, gateway courses in which prerequisite knowledge is a key to success.
- Next Gen Tools: CfA Learning Environment: The College for America Learning Environment (CLE), built upon the Salesforce platform, is a comprehensive environment for students and educators that tracks learning and degree progress and provides data management and analytics.
- NGLC Announces $7.2 Million in Grants to Help Launch 16 Personalized, Competency-Based Schools: $450,000 grants support new schools or redesigns in 10 states, to open this fall.
- Breakthrough Models for College Completion: Discover the innovative approaches of 9 new postsecondary degree programs that were funded by NGLC.
- Next Generation Learning: The Pathway to Possibility: Next generation learning is about engaging with today’s students through “next gen” teaching and learning designs. This white paper offers a framework for next generation learning to thrive.
- Next Gen Learning Today: Blog that focuses on breakthrough tech-enabled innovations supporting student learning and college completion, written by guest bloggers and staff from the Next Generation Learning Challenges initiative.
NGLC has received financial support from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, the William and Flora Hewlett Foundation, the Eli and Edythe Broad Foundation, and the Michael & Susan Dell Foundation.