Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Use of Personal Information at EDUCAUSE
EDUCAUSE ("we" in the following text) is committed to informing its membership and the general public about news, services, and professional development opportunities that pertain to the transformation of higher education through information technologies. We also strive to facilitate communication among colleagues in the higher education IT community. To these ends, we maintain a database of information about our constituents to enable us to communicate with them and to enable them to communicate with each other.
Protecting privacy in a technically secure environment and giving individuals a measure of control over their personally identifiable information are critical elements in the EDUCAUSE communication strategy. Consequently, we have instituted the set of information practices and rights described below. Please note that the EDUCAUSE Web site offers some links to external sites, to which these privacy practices and rights do not apply.
What Personal Information Does EDUCAUSE Hold? How Is It Obtained?
Basic personal information
We obtain and hold the following information volunteered through online and offline transactions and inquiries, and occasionally from other organizations with whom we are collaborating on special projects.
- Personal Name
- Organization name
- Organization state
- Contact information
- Job title
- Postal address
- E-mail address
- Personal URL
Other information that may be held
The following information is volunteered in online and offline transactions, surveys, and inquiries, unless otherwise noted.
- EDUCAUSE "unified login" user name and password
- Records of your official involvement with EDUCAUSE and its affiliate organizations (e.g., meeting attendance, proposal submissions, speaking engagements, and committee membership)
- Emergency contact information
- Special needs information
- If you have served as a speaker or faculty member at an EDUCAUSE event or that of one of its affiliates, we maintain biographical information used in the event's online program as well as evaluation results submitted by attendees after your session(s).
- If you have submitted a conference presentation proposal, we will retain program committee evaluations of your proposal.
- If you have completed an online transaction using a credit card, we may retain your credit card information (in encrypted form) to simplify future communications about that transaction.
- If you have completed an EDUCAUSE survey, we may maintain records obtained therein of your age and gender.
- If you participate in a secured SharePoint Team Web site for a member committee, task force, or community of practice, we collect site access and contribution information.
- We track anonymous, aggregated information about opening and click-through responses to HTML e-mail messages using a variety of tools to help us better tailor our communications to the needs and interests of our constituents.
Note: We do not collect personal information other than name and e-mail address that is submitted when subscribing to our online newsletters or constituent or discussion groups.
Session cookie – This type of cookie is used to enhance and make more efficient the user's experience during a site visit. Once the user closes the browser, the cookie terminates.
Persistent cookie – This type of cookie stores a small text file on the user's hard drive for an extended period of time to remember visit activity that will help make subsequent visits more efficient. Persistent cookies can be removed by following the user's Internet browser help directions.
How Does EDUCAUSE Secure Your Personal Information?
The personal information we collect is stored in databases and files that are protected by passwords and firewalls. In addition, online forms used for financial transactions are secured with SSL encryption technology to ensure the safety of sensitive information transmitted through them (e.g., credit card information). When credit card information is stored, it is done so only in an encrypted format.
If your basic personal information is in our database, it may be publicly available in our online and print directories and event registration lists, with the aim of fostering communication among colleagues. See the How Can You Change How EDUCAUSE Uses Your Information section below if you would like to change your listing status.
How Does EDUCAUSE Use Your Personal Information?
In addition to facilitating basic communication with you, the information we hold helps us enhance your experiences on our Web site and the efficacy of our communications with you. For example, by holding your basic personal information, we can automatically fill out transactional forms with that data to save you time and effort.
- We use personal information to reply to communications you send us.
- We use it to communicate essential information about transactions, such as an electronic receipt for a purchase or a confirmation of a conference registration.
- If you are a designated representative of an EDUCAUSE member organization, we use it to send you announcements about news within the association and the profession.
- We use it to inform you about EDUCAUSE events, programs, and services of potential interest, unless you have opted out of such communications.
- We include your name, your organization's name and state, your contact information, and photo in the EDUCAUSE member directory and event registration lists unless you opt to exclude your contact information. If you choose to exclude that information, only your name, your title, and your organization's name and state may appear.
- We share your name and postal mail address with corporate participants at EDUCAUSE conferences you have registered to attend, unless you have opted out of corporate participant communications.
- For purposes approved by EDUCAUSE, we make available EDUCAUSE member representatives' names and postal mail addresses in printed or electronic form for one-time use only to other EDUCAUSE members.
- We may provide you with a lead retrieval card at certain EDUCAUSE and affiliate conferences that contains your basic personal information. This card allows you to pass on this information to exhibitors from whom you would like to receive more information. By allowing a conference exhibitor to swipe that card, you give the exhibitor your name and contact information, including e-mail address.
- We use anonymous, aggregated data about Web site visitors' site usage and technical capabilities as well as about HTML message opening and click-through rates to improve online services and communications.
How Can You Change How EDUCAUSE Uses Your Information?
Balanced with our goal of sharing information with our constituents is our commitment to respecting preferences for how their personal information will be used. Here are the various ways to control the use of your information. [Note: Primary representatives of member institutions, by virtue of the responsibilities they agree to in taking on this role, may not remove themselves from listing in the Membership Directory nor from certain promotional and other non-transactional messages.]
Changing mailing and directory listing preferences
Log into your EDUCAUSE profile to change your
- promotional mailing preferences
- ECAR research notification preferences
- listing status in EDUCAUSE directories and registration lists
- peer directory information and preferences
- new-resource alert preferences
If you do not have one, you can create a personal EDUCAUSE profile.
If you would like to change any preferences listed above but do not wish to create an EDUCAUSE profile, please e-mail your request to EDUCAUSE Member Services at email@example.com or call them at 303-449-4430.
Removal from all non-transactional EDUCAUSE mailings
If you wish not to receive any communications from EDUCAUSE (including newsletters, news announcements, magazine tables of contents, and information about resources, services, and professional development opportunities) except those that pertain directly to transactions you conduct with EDUCAUSE, please send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org with this subject line: REMOVE FROM ALL MAILINGS.
Unsubscribing from constituent and discussion group lists or electronic newsletters
- To remove yourself from a constituent or discussion group, select the Join or Leave List link in your profile (links to all groups are listed on the Constituent and Discussion Groups Web page).
- Remove yourself from the Policy Digest mailing list.
- Remove yourself from the EDUCAUSE at a Glance mailing list.
How Can You Update Your Personal Information?
- Log into your EDUCAUSE profile to change your:
- basic personal information
- biographic information
- emergency contact information
- special needs information
- personal event itineraries
- user name and password
If you do not have one, you can create a personal EDUCAUSE profile.
If you would like to change any information listed above but do not wish to create an EDUCAUSE profile, please e-mail your request to EDUCAUSE Member Services at email@example.com or call them at 303-449-4430.
How Does EDUCAUSE Handle Legally Issued Subpoenas and Law Enforcement Agency Requests?
EDUCAUSE and its service providers release institutionally identifiable information to third parties only in conjunction with valid subpoenas or other valid, legal requests and in compliance with other applicable laws. EDUCAUSE will not provide any institutionally identifiable information other than that information which is publicly available without a legal obligation to do so.
What Other Exceptions Are There?
EDUCAUSE reserves the right to use personal information in its database to identify the source of any inappropriate use of information resources managed by the association, including but not limited to offensive or illegal postings to online discussion lists, collaboration sites, and other communication vehicles; denial of service actions; unauthorized use of online services and network infrastructure; misuse or unauthorized use of the EDUCAUSE name, logo, or other representations of the association; and to protect the personal safety and privacy of our members, online users, and the public under the policies and practices described above.
Effective date: 02/2015