Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Top 10 IT Issues
For 15 years, higher education IT leaders have used the EDUCAUSE Top 10 IT Issues to calibrate their IT-related activities and inform their strategic planning.
Selection of the 2016 Issues Is Underway
With help from the IT Issues Panel and a representative sample of IT leaders in the community, EDUCAUSE is currently selecting the top 10 IT issues and strategic technologies in higher education. This research effort also guides EDUCAUSE programs focused on administrative IT, teaching and learning, and information security.
Attending the EDUCAUSE Annual Conference? Add this session to your itinerary, Preview 2016's Top 10 IT Issues and Strategic Technologies. Look for additional survey findings and resources in the January/February issue of EDUCAUSE Review.
2015 Article and Related Resources
What's new in 2015? Nothing and everything. One constant is change, and three themes characterize this year’s list:
Inflection Point — The trends that have motivated early adopters are cascading into the mainstream and requiring fundamental changes in strategy.
From Technical to Business — IT leaders and professionals are shifting focus from technical to business problems, with increasing interdependencies.
The New Normal — BYOD, digitization, and associated technologies and opportunities are changing the nature of user support and appropriate security policies.
- EDUCAUSE Review Articles — View the top 10 and learn more
- Feature: Top 10 IT Issues 2015: Inflection Point
- Ten Reasons to Tackle the Top 10 IT Issues
- An Administrative IT Perspective on the Top 10 IT Issues
- The Top 3 Strategic Information Security Issues
- The Top 10 IT Issues and the ELI Content Anchors: Convergence
- Developing Strategies for Implementing Analytics
- Multimedia — Get quick overviews in video and audio
- Supporting Data and Graphics — Focus on data, trends, and institutional types
- Additional Materials — Deepen your domain knowledge
About the Top 10 Research on Higher Education IT Issues and Strategic Technologies
The annual EDUCAUSE Top 10 research — including the IT issues and strategic technologies reports— is used by higher education leaders and decision makers to anticipate and articulate challenges and inform their actions and decisions to address them.
The list of top IT issues is developed by a panel of experts comprised of IT and non-IT leaders, CIOs, and faculty members and then voted on by the EDUCAUSE community. The top 10 strategic technologies were selected from the analysis of a vetted set of 107 technologies presented to EDUCAUSE members in a survey in summer 2014.