Top 10 IT Issues
Trends and Forecasts to Inform IT Planning
Understand what's important and where to focus with these annual reports.
The 2017 Top 10 IT Issues
It’s all about student success.
Colleges and universities are concentrating on student success to address concerns about the costs, value, and outcomes of higher education. Student success initiatives are making use of every available resource and opportunity and involving every relevant stakeholder. Institutional technology is all three: resource, opportunity, and stakeholder.
The 2017 issues list identifies the four focus areas for higher education information technology:
- Develop the IT foundations
- Develop the data foundations
- Ensure effective leadership
- Enable successful students
These issues and focus areas are not just about today. Higher education information technology is very clearly building foundations for student success to last into the future.Read the Feature Article
Perspectives by Topic
- Enterprise IT Perspectives on the 2017 Top 10 IT Issues
- Enterprise Connections: Cross-Institutional Collaboration: Niche or Trend?
- Information Security: Risky Business
- Teaching and Learning and IT Issues: Exploring the Intersections
- Corporate Perspectives on the Top 10 IT Issues
- Academic Libraries and the EDUCAUSE 2017 Top 10 IT Issues
- Webinar: The 2017 Top 10 IT Issues: Foundations for Student Success
- EDUCAUSE 2016 Session: The EDUCAUSE 2017 Top 10 IT Issues
Supporting Data and Graphics
- Research Snapshot Infographic
- IT Issues Trends Interactive Graphic
- IT Issues by Institutional Type Lists
- Recommended Readings and Resources
- Core Data Service Data Mapped to the Issues
- Higher Ed IT Buyers Guide: Connecting You to the Right Vendors for Your IT Solutions
About the Top 10 Research on Higher Education IT Issues and Strategic Technologies
The trends and forecasts revealed in the annual EDUCAUSE Top 10 research — including the IT issues and strategic technologies reports — are used by higher education leaders and decision makers to know what's important and where to focus in their IT planning and management. The lists of top IT issues and strategic technologies are developed by a panel of experts comprised of IT and non-IT leaders, CIOs, and faculty members and then voted on by the EDUCAUSE community in an annual survey.
The annual IT Issues article (see 2017 above) is published in EDUCAUSE Review. The EDUCAUSE Center for Analysis and Research publishes the annual strategic technologies report and supporting materials. View the ECAR 2017 Strategic Technologies reports. The research also guides EDUCAUSE enterprise IT, information security, professional development, and teaching and learning programs.