Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
EDUCAUSE is a nonprofit association whose mission is to advance higher education through the use of information technology.
EDUCAUSE strategic directions provide guidance for the association as it works to maximize its value to member institutions and the profession. EDUCAUSE continually refines its strategic directions to remain relevant to current needs and issues in higher education technology.
As approved by the EDUCAUSE Board of Directors, the association provides programs, activities, and resources focused on:
- Knowledge creation and dissemination
- Collaboration and community
- Analysis and advocacy
- Career and leadership development
EDUCAUSE seeks to:
- Be responsive and member-focused
- Proactively surface emerging trends and synthesize information
- Take a leadership role on important community issues
- Help members be change agents on campus
- Be an agile and focused organization
2016 Strategic Directions
These are the key association priorities in 2016. EDUCAUSE is conducting an in-depth strategic planning process this year that will result in updates to the priorities.
- Ensure a thriving EDUCAUSE by conducting a successful strategic planning process that includes a comprehensive member survey and a review of our organizational effectiveness
- Strengthen EDUCAUSE foundations by successfully completing a website redesign, implementing a new association management system, enhancing our data security and PCI compliance, and improving the Core Data Service reporting infrastructure
- Continually review and enhance existing programs with a focus in 2016 on corporate engagement, professional development opportunities, and policy areas
- Maintain our innovative edge in the enhancement and development of programs and services for members, including focused attention on integrated planning and advising for student success (iPASS), benchmarking, and leading academic transformation
- Improve inclusiveness, transparency, and communication within EDUCAUSE and its community
- Ensure that EDUCAUSE continues to be fiscally sustainable in 2016 and beyond
Our community's values shape EDUCAUSE's strategic directions and actions. EDUCAUSE is developing individual value statements in consultation with members and community leaders. Here we provide a brief overview of what each value means, why our community considers it important, and how it guides our service to members and higher education.
The list of values will gradually change as new statements are completed; the list should never be considered exhaustive. We are working to highlight the core values that truly define EDUCAUSE rather than trying to capture all of the values that motivate our community.
EDUCAUSE values sharing, collaboration, and open access to knowledge and resources, and thus supports technologies, applications, and approaches that foster openness. Embracing openness as a core value commits EDUCAUSE to helping both its institutional and corporate members engage the topic on a sustained basis, with the goal of maximizing the flexibility and creativity with which members can advance their missions.
As the higher education technology association, EDUCAUSE embraces the value of innovation. EDUCAUSE understands not only the importance of innovation to higher education but also the supporting role that technology can play as a tool for innovation in the learning, discovery, and engagement that colleges and universities offer. Together, all of us in the EDUCAUSE community strive to produce innovations that will advance higher education's mission of creating, transmitting, and preserving knowledge.
The Common Good
EDUCAUSE values the leveraging of knowledge, approaching complex issues together rather than separately, and thus supports the use of information technology—as a tool, a discipline, and a mindset—to foster the common good in higher education and society. EDUCAUSE works to enable higher education IT leaders and professionals to advance the common good across their campuses, their communities, and the world at large. Along with the EDUCAUSE values of innovation and openness, this commitment is expressed by how EDUCAUSE members help to achieve it—through "uncommon thinking for the common good."
EDUCAUSE values collaboration for integrating diverse talents and experience, avoiding duplication, and sparking innovative ideas for serving the common good, and thus supports the use of information technology to foster collaboration.
EDUCAUSE values community for the relationships, commitment, and collective action it catalyzes, and EDUCAUSE thus supports the development and adoption of technologies, applications, and approaches to foster community.