Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
EDUCAUSE Leadership Award
About the Award
The Leadership Award is our highest recognition for individual achievement and is awarded annually. This award acknowledges and celebrates exemplary leadership that has a significant and positive impact on advancing the theory and practice of information technology in higher education.
Awards will be made at the discretion of the EDUCAUSE Recognition Committee, which may choose to grant one award, no award, or multiple awards in any one year.
Guidelines and Eligibility
- Candidates must be or have been contributing members of our professional community, directly associated with managing information technology and resources in higher education, and individuals who have made significant and demonstrable contributions to the field.
- Candidates may not be currently serving on the EDUCAUSE Board, staff, or Recognition Committee.
- Anyone, within or outside of higher education, may submit nominations for the award.
- Each candidate will be judged on three primary factors:
- Leadership in the institution or institutions where they have been employed,
- Leadership in EDUCAUSE, and
- Leadership in the profession
- In addition the Recognition Committee will also look for evidence that supports:
- Leadership in the efficient and effective practice of supporting and using technology at an institutional level
- Leadership in managing IT resources (human, financial, and technology) within an organization or institution
- Leadership in areas of professional development within a professional association or society
- Leadership in influencing change or new directions in the application of technology
- Leadership in the creation of knowledge and collaborative scholarly work in the theory and practice of information technology in higher education
Nominations for the 2013 Leadership Award are now closed. Recipients will be announced this fall.
Award recipients are recognized at the EDUCAUSE Annual Conference and receive complimentary registration, travel, and housing for the conference. Contributions are made to a scholarship fund of the recipient's choice in the amount of $3,000. A session at the Annual Conference is dedicated to the award and highlights of accomplishments added to the award gallery on the EDUCAUSE website.
Leadership Award Recipients
Between 1999 and 2005, awards were made in designated categories for general Excellence in Leadership, Leadership in the Profession, Leadership in Information Technologies, and Leadership in Public Policy and Practice. From 1990 to 1998 this program was known as the CAUSE ELITE Award for Exemplary Leadership and Information Technology Excellence; prior to 1990 CAUSE Recognition Awards were given in various categories.