IT Governance, Risk, and Compliance Program
IT GRC Programs — Why Now?
The stakes are high for the effective operation of higher education IT organizations. IT GRC programs help level the playing field.Learn More
The EDUCAUSE IT GRC program provides resources that help you define and implement IT governance, risk, and compliance (GRC) activities on your campus.
GRC issues increasingly pervade higher education information technology. As institutional investment in IT and reliance on information systems have grown, so has the need for reliable structures and measures to ensure success and minimize failure.
IT GRC programs develop a framework for the leadership, organization, and operation of an institution's IT programs. This framework can be used by IT staff to ensure that their programs support and enable the institution's strategic objectives.
- Member working groups and representatives from complementary organizations advise EDUCAUSE in the development of best practices, toolkits, and case studies.
- An ECAR research study benchmarks how higher education institutions are approaching IT GRC practices. (pictured, right: a snapshot of the ECAR IT GRC infographic)
- A community group provides a forum for IT GRC topics.
- Additional resources from NACUA have been made available to EDUCAUSE members through the organizations' collaboration on IT GRC.
- IT Risk Register, a sortable checklist that identifies common strategic IT risks and catalogues those risks according to common risk types and IT domains
- Digital Capabilities in Higher Education 2016 IT Governance Risk and Compliance
- IT Governance Toolkit, resources to help you design a framework for IT governance at your institution
- Higher Education IT Governance Checklist
- Risk Management Basics, a quick overview of the three basic steps of risk management: identify and assess, monitor, and response
- Thinking about IT Risk Strategically, IT leaders at two institutions explain how they use the risk register to couch risks in terms of their impact on an institution's mission or goals
- Resources to help you define and implement campus IT GRC activities:
- EDUCAUSE Library resources:
- NACUA Resources (complimentary for EDUCAUSE members):