Steering Analytics Toward an Equitable Future
By integrating the goals of DEI (diversity, equity, and inclusion) with the tools of analytics, those of us in higher education can better represent the world in which we live while improving our processes and results. To get started, we must reorient our conversations, explore barriers and resources, and build a foundation for support.
Reorienting the Analytics Conversation
Analytics programs can be designed to identify, address, and challenge (rather than reinforce) reasons behind long-standing equity gaps. An essential part of this effort is to build trust by reorienting conversations to include the many campus groups that have a role in this work.
Listen to "Addressing DEI Issues through Analytics" [podcast].
Exploring What’s Possible
By identifying promising practices, campus leaders are working to leverage analytics as a way to advance their DEI goals. Critical steps include becoming aware of barriers and identifying resources for support.
Building a Foundation to Support All
Efforts to address DEI in higher education should include not only students but also faculty and staff across departments. An important element in this work is building a sophisticated data infrastructure that includes all members of the campus community and is designed to be transparent and ethical in its collection and use of data.
Hear from the community
Member QuickTalk | Showcase Coffee Shop
Join us on March 3 at 10 am MT to discuss the Showcase resources and how DEI and analytics intersect on your campus.
Assess your progress
Learn from your peers
- Webinar: Member QuickTalk | Showcase Coffee Shop: Steering Analytics Toward an Equitable Future (March 3)
- Podcast: The Ethical Issues Around Learning Analytics EDUCAUSE Exchange
- Webinar: Privacy and Ethics: Using Student Data in Learning Analytics (January 27)
- Institute: Data Literacy Institute
Feed your curiosity
- Discrimination in a Sea of Data: Exploring the Ethical Implications of Student Success Analytics EDUCAUSE Review
- Institutions' Use of Data and Analytics for Student Success (NASPA, EDUCAUSE, and AIR collaboration)
- DEI and Data Trustworthiness EDUCAUSE Review
Dig into the library
Interact with the community
- Community Group: Student Success Analytics Practitioners
From this EDUCAUSE Showcase, we hope you'll take away a new understanding of how analytics can steer your campus toward an inclusive and equitable future.
Next up, we'll explore hybrid learning spaces and their implications for higher education. Tune in to The Digital versus Brick-and-Mortar Balancing Game launching April 18.