Moving from Data Insight to Data Action
Data is as indispensable as technology to the activities of a college or university. Today’s data professionals are navigating the data journey from "what" to "so what" to "now what" by using insights, planning ahead, and taking action.
Insights: Where We Are Now
To cultivate a data-driven culture and enable data-informed decision-making, institutions are reviewing and evolving their current data structures.
Read “EDUCAUSE QuickPoll Results: (Re)organizing Data Functions for Today's Analytics,” EDUCAUSE Review
Planning: Where We Want to Go
A carefully planned framework can provide the guiding principles and key competencies needed to evolve institutional capabilities in using data to provide actionable strategic insights.
Read “A Modern Framework for Institutional Analytics,” EDUCAUSE Review.
Action: How to Move Forward
With an articulated vision for an institution’s data governance future, stakeholders can develop and prioritize a set of steps to get there. The actions can be organized into the categories of culture, workforce, and process.
Explore the 2023 Horizon Action Plan: Data Governance
Missed the Showcase Webinar: Moving from Data Insight to Data Action? Access the recording to hear from community data experts.
Hear from the Community
Assess Your Progress
Learn from Your Peers
- EDUCAUSE Data Literacy Institute
- Learning Lab | Data Governance Essentials
- Learning Lab | Leading Change in Higher Education from Any Seat
- "A Quest for Success: How Technology and Data Transformed Middle Tennessee State University" [case study]
- "Exceptional Experiences: How South Texas College Transformed Advising Using Technology and Data" [case study]
- Kelly Linden, Ben Hicks and Sarah Teakel, “Weathering the Storm: Targeted and Timely Analytics to Support Disengaged Students” [case study], EDUCAUSE Review
- AIR, EDUCAUSE, and NACUBO, The Joint Statement on Analytics, updated August 2022
Feed Your Curiosity
- 2022 EDUCAUSE Horizon Report | Data and Analytics Edition
- Understanding and Developing a Data-Informed Culture
Dig Into the Library
Connect with Community Groups
We hope the lessons from this Showcase will help you use data to drive strategic action at your institution. On May 22, we’ll launch "Online, In-Person, or Hybrid? Yes." This Showcase will explore strategies to navigate the increasingly blurred boundaries between learning modalities.