About the Award
The Leadership Award is our highest recognition for individual achievement and is awarded annually. This award acknowledges and celebrates exemplary leadership that has a significant and positive impact on advancing the theory and practice of information technology in higher education.
Awards will be made at the discretion of the EDUCAUSE Recognition Committee which may choose to grant one award, no award, or multiple awards in any one year.
Anyone may submit a nomination for the Leadership Award with the candidate's permission. Nominations must clearly document why the candidate should be considered, above all others, for this distinguished award. All nominations must contain sufficient information to inform the selection process without additional research. Each nomination submitted must adhere to the following outline and page counts.
The nomination must include:
- Curriculum Vitae or Resume (upload)
Include with the nomination the candidate's vitae or professional resume to provide the selection committee with a more comprehensive overview of the candidate's accomplishments and experiences. Please note the CV or resume is not a substitute for any of the required information listed below.
- Description of how the candidate fulfills the criteria described under the "Guidelines and Eligibility" section for this award (upload). (750-1200 words/2-4 pages)
- Each nomination submitted must adhere to the following outline and page counts. Please note: After reviewing the initial nomination submissions, the Recognition Committee may ask for and require three additional reference letters to assist in the evaluation of the candidates under consideration.
Guidelines and Eligibility
- Candidates must be or have been contributing members of our professional community, directly associated with managing information technology and resources in higher education, and individuals who have made significant and demonstrable contributions to the field.
- Candidates may not be currently serving on the EDUCAUSE Board, staff, or Recognition Committee.
- Anyone within or outside of higher education may submit nominations for the award.
- Each candidate will be judged on three primary factors:
- Leadership in the institution or institutions where they have been employed,
- Leadership in EDUCAUSE, and
- Leadership in the profession.
- In addition, the Recognition Committee will also look for evidence that supports:
- Leadership in the efficient and effective practice of supporting and using technology at an institutional level.
- Leadership in managing IT resources (human, financial, and technology) within an organization or institution.
- Leadership in areas of professional development within a professional association or society.
- Leadership in influencing change or new directions in the application of technology.
- Leadership in the creation of knowledge and collaborative scholarly work in the theory and practice of information technology in higher education.
Are you unsure if the candidate you would like to nominate qualifies for an award?
Please reach out to us at [email protected] and we will be happy to answer questions about the nominations process, guidelines, or eligibility.
The next call for nominations will open in February 2022.
Award recipients are recognized at the EDUCAUSE Annual Conference and receive complimentary registration, travel, and housing for the conference. Recipients are also given a session at the annual conference and a $3,000 honorarium toward another EDUCAUSE event or the option of donating the amount to the EDUCAUSE scholarship fund. Highlights of their accomplishments are also added to the award gallery on the EDUCAUSE website.
Recipients will also earn an EDUCAUSE microcredential as a way to digitally document and display their achievement.
See previous Leadership Award recipients.